Sunday, 2 August 2009

The Ticket!

I remember reading Corrie Ten Boom's books as a teenager and being amazed at her faith. Amazed at how God rewarded her faith and I must have stored away a lot of her words of wisdom as throughout the difficult times in my life her words and thoughts have helped me to see God's word to me more clearly.

One story she tells comes back to me now with huge meaning.

Corrie was talking to her Dad as a young child and considering the thoughts of death. She asked her Dad how she would ever get over her fear of dying. Her Dad explained it to her like this.

When we are going on a train Journey do I give you your ticket months in advance? No you would lose it before the journey, I would give you your ticket to hold just before we get on the train, then you will have to hand just as you need it. So it is with God, when He is ready to call us home he will give us our ticket and we will go happily and confidently on this journey too.

(OK maybe the words are not quite how Corrie tells it, I can't even remember which of her books it was in, but the gist is right.)

This story has been much in my thoughts over the last few days. Since I answered the phone to my Mum on the evening of Wednesday 22nd July.

Mum told me she had some sad news...my thought immediately went to my Uncle who has been very ill, but no it wasn't my Uncle, Dad had been diagnosed with pancretic Cancer. I was totally speechless. Mum was talking about tests Dad had undergone, I had been aware he was having testsd, but Dad has had problems with his stomach and bowel for years, Diverticulitis and irritable bowel Syndrome have caused him pain for many years. I just assumed it was a complication of this that was being investigated. However the tests were indicative of pancreatic Cancer. It is not a Cancer that is easily treated. There is not much hope of cure or even really remission. Dad is at peace with this. Mum seems to be too. They have lived their lives with the purpose of meeting their Lord and Saviour and now Dad is truly looking forward to going home! He has his ticket.

The distance between us is vast. They live more than a 7 hour road joureny away and we know that the girls would not cope with that kind of journey, When they came to visit us in May last year I felt we had really said goodbye. Now that doesnt feel enough. KNowing the goodbye is final is hard...knowing it is not so final and we will meet again in heaven makes it a little easier but the need to hold and hug them is huge! Thankfully we will God Willing get that chance. Mum and Dad are coming to visit, just a few short days, but we will get to see them again.

Standing here on the platform waiting to wave goodbye as Dad leaves on his final journey is a painful place to be. Just as in life waving goodbye is hard so it is now. Yet knwoing Dad is going on a journey to a place he wants to be makes it easier to bear. I am glad I get to hold him tight first though.

I am so glad of the assurance Mum and Dad instilled in me that this life is not all there is.

And for Pauls words...the suffering of this world is not worthy to be compared to the glory that is to come.

Dad will have many many crowns to exchange so many times he has shared the gospel, so many people who he has helped to accept God's free gift of life. So many hours spent in prayer, so much time spent in intercession and fasting and pleading for those who do not know Christ.
Why would he not be ready to go meet his Saviour face to face!

Longing to see you in a few weeks Dad.
Hugs

4 comments:

Tia said...

That's pretty much as I remember the Corrie ten Boom quote Tina so if we've got it wrong we've got it wrong together.

love and prayers to you and your parents as you all travel this next part of the journey Home

Tia

Tia said...

That's pretty much as I remember the Corrie ten Boom quote Tina so if we've got it wrong we've got it wrong together.

love and prayers to you and your parents as you all travel this next part of the journey Home

Tia

Alesha said...

Ah, Tina, such a hard thing to face. I'll be praying for you as you go through it.

What an awesome testimony you give for your dad! That is such a blessing to hear of his life lived for his Lord!

May God richly bless you with the peace that only He can give,
Alesha

Trina and Jophie said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hi girlie...

So howdy!

Talk soon...

Trina and Jophie