Wednesday, 12 December 2012

Ignorant, Arrogant and Wow, clean socks!

Yesterday was, to say the least, a day of frustrations. Thankfully it was interspersed with lovely people too.
As has been the way of things for six days now, Eve woke up and immediately began to seize. The protocol has been to wait for 30 minutes and if still going to administer rescue medicine. Until Sunday this had been Buccal Midazolam. However this had not worked since Wednesday and had had to be repeated and followed with IV Lorazepam. On Sunday we tried Rectal Diazepam which had also failed to stop the seizures and needed to be followed with IV Lorazepam. Each time she had the lorazepam she had stopped fitting within two minutes and woken up laughing, demanding her iPad and interacting with her videos!
So fast forward two yesterday, I reported her commencement of seizures to the nurse who told the Dr. The Dr suggested we again try Diazepam. I stressed that the neurologist had wanted us to start her on Clobozam for three days if the seizures continued. The Dr repeated that he wanted to try diazepam. So the Diazepam was given. Approximately an hour later Eve stopped jerking and became totally flat. She was not rousesble nor wasa she responding to anything. I was convinced she was still fitting. I told the nurse she was still fitting and another Dr came to see her. I was told she wasn't fitting because she wasn't jerking! I repeated that I was convinced she was fitting and that not all fits consist of jerking. The Dr left the room. At this point we had friends visiting and they commented on how keen she was to get out of the room. Eve managed to raise a glimmer of a smile when she heard Matts voice but she did not open her eyes or respond further. I repeated me concerns to the nurse who agreed that it did not make sense that Eve was so out of it with the diazepam when previously following midazolam and diazepam and lorazepam she had responded by waking up and being totally interactive. Just before 2 pm a different Dr came and seemed to be listening to me, I felt quite relived, but then after I had told him both the neurologist and the paediatrician had stated that should seizures continue then. Should be starting three days of Clobozam twice a day. He said he would be guided by me, then said web would give her her regular dose of clonazepam and see how she went!
Nothing changed all afternoon, except my frustration growing. I repeatedly told the nurses that she was still fitting, they repeatedly asked junior Drs to review her. Eventually one of the junior Drs did make contact with the paediatrician who insisted they get some Clobozam from pharmacy and she would see Eve as soon as she got back from Lincoln.
At 5.45 the paediatrician arrived. Took one look at Eve and declared,
"I think she is still fitting!"
I was so relieved, I told her I had been saying that all day and made to feel I was being totally ridiculous. She arranged for the nurse to give her the Clobozam and warned me that this would make Eve very sleepy for the three days she would be on it, but hopefully it would break the cycle and we could then review her drugs with the Neurologist on Friday. In the meantime if Eve should start to fit again she would need IV Lorazepam.
15 minutes after the Clobozam Eve opened her eyes, demanded her iPad and was shrieking with laughter at Mickey Mouse. I went out to the desk and asked Eve's nurse to come and look at her. She subsequently called the senior nurse in to see her. They were both astounded but very pleased.
Unfortunately two hours later Eve did start to fit again, I told the nurse who then requested a Dr to write up Lorazepam. After 15 minutes I had not seen anyone so called the nurse again. She explained that the junior Dr was just going to cannulat anoth child and would then review Eve. This would still be within our 30 minute wait time before treating the seizure so I was happy with that. However the Dr never arrived. At 45 minutes I spoke to the nurse again who went off in search of a Dr as they had left the ward. By this time I was becoming angry. Not only were they ignorant they were now avoiding me and putting Eve at further risk. Eventually 1 hour 13 minutes after Eve started fitting the nurse returned but not with Lorazepam, she had diazepam! I was furious, not with the nurse but with the Dr who was again ignoring the advice given by neurologist and paediatrician. I refused to allow the nurse to give the diazepam and requested she get the Dr to follow the advice. Eventually we got the Lorazepam. But I was so cross.
In the midst of this we had another visitor. Lucia had abandoned her plans to go home for Christmas and has come to stay till Sunday to help us out. I love Lucia so much!

I am now torn between making an offical complaint about the junior Drs and waiting until Friday when we see the Neurologist and discussing it with him and the Peadiatrician. They seriously need to learn to acknowledge their limitations and seek advice when they don't understand a situation. They also desperately need

1 comment:

Tina said...

Epilepsy training is what they desperately need. .