Thursday, 18 July 2013

How quickly things change

So the weekend everyone was happy everyone was well and all in the garden was blooming.
Monday we were all warm appointments had to be gone through and exam week started at schools.
Eve was producing secretions galore and Rosie and Jonathan although happy had been reluctant to take part at College.
Tuesday morning I had planned to be at the funeral of a very dear lady at Churchy.
Doris was very special to me having taken time to talk with me over our family's impact on her when we joined the Church. Doris had moved recently and I had never managed to fulfil my desire to visit her. Do I was very saddened to hear of her death whilst overjoyed that for her eternity with her Saviour was a reality.
I managed to bake two batches of cakes before leaving to go and help with the preparations for after the funeral. I spent an hour of delightful friendship and fellowship with friends from Church I rarely get the chance to talk with properly. Then we went to sit in Church to await the rest of the mourners. Just as the first of the family began to arrive I received a text asking me to call home ASAP.
Eve had taken a turn for the worse. Fitting and racing heart rate. Do with a heavy heart I left, passing the funeral car on my way home and silently praying for Nic has he spoke and the family as they said their goodbyes.
I arrived home to David anxiously pacing and Debbie mopping sweat from Eve's face. Her temperature was over 40 and her heart rate over 180.
I quickly decided we needed to take her to the ward and rang to warn them we were coming. It seemed a very long drive but the breeze in the back of our bus did help to cool Eve a little.
Thankfully the newly installed portacath made it easy to take bloods. I insisted they did blood cultures at the same time which the Dr reluctantly at first but then as I explained my reasons more supportively agreed to.
I was concerned about accessing the port more than necessary as the big concern was the infection was in the line.
More pain relief was given in an attempt to lower her temperature and heart rate.
Eventually these came down and Eve appeared more settled. Her Consultant arrived and felt it was best to monitor overnight in hospital but felt that possibly it was just the heat. I strongly hoped she was right.
At 3.30 I had a text message telling me I had missed a call from Jonathan and Rosies college. So I rang them back. Rosie had been hit by a cup of hot coffee thrown by another student and had been taken to the minor injuries unit with suspected scalding. I was assured it did not appear too serious but they would keep me informed.
The ward was very busy and Eve and I settled to listening to worship music whilst watching the world go by outside our door. I climbed into bed at 11 pm glad to see a great team of night staff. Just as I was hovering in that bliss between wake and sleep a Dr came in and announced the blood cultures were showing a strong growth of Gram Negative Rods but also her potassium level was extremely low. So they were starting her on IV antibiotics and potassium.
It was just turned midnight when the Nursei came in to do these treatments and I watched with interest as I hope to be able to do this myself at home.
I settled back into bed around 12.45 and was again just drifting when suddenly the alarms started. SAYs dropping heart rate rising and when I looked at Eve she was having horrid spasms contorting her face and arms.
I called a nurse in who went to fetch another. Eve's heart rate was now above 170 and they called the Dr. No one was sure what was happening. Her temp had been 35.7 at 12.45 now at 1.10 it registered 38.4. When the Dr came in he felt she was possibly having rigours but by now it looked more like seizure and spasm to me. I suggested we gave her IV lorazepam but the Dr said to wait.
At half 1 her heart rate reached 190 and her temp was 40. Parecetemol had been given and now the have PR diclofenic but her heart rate continued to rise and peaked at 209.
By 4 am things were coming down and I climbed into bed. Wrapped in several blankets as with windows open and fan on full blast I was probably the only human in England who was cold!
I managed to doze on and off for maybe an hour and a half but was constantly up and down to Eve. The staff were in and out checking temp and blood pressure which had fallen very low. Her temp came down and has stayed there ever since. As has her heart rate. But her blood pressure is too low. She is also quite sleepy but has had some periods yesterday of being quite smiley.
In an effort to keep us on our toes Eve managed a blocked trache this morning. Obviously the moment when only Sister was available to shout to was the best moment. But we got that changed without too much bother and now we are just waiting for decisions on what to do next.
Rosie escaped from her trauma with just a blistered eyelid and a bruised shoulder. And has been fine.
Christina has come up trumps and is coping with keeping everyone well fed at home. David seems quite calm and the Carers are doing their stuff ok.
Just need a plan to get us home ASAP now.

No comments: