Thursday was a traumatic day. We were struggling to get support from Sheffield Children's Hospital. The Drs and the Nursing Staff had all tried but no one seemed to want to help. Eventually I decided to email Eve's respiratory Consultant. She then rang and spoke to Sister and Dr O. To discover the details. Then she started investigating with the relevant Sheffield people. I live Eve's respiratory consultant she's so on the ball.
I waited until my carer came to relieve me at 1.15 then headed down to find some food and try to get my hair cut in the hospitals hairdressers.
Frustratingly the hairdressers was busy and when I got to the canteen there was nothing that looked appetising left. So I went back to the shop and settled for a bag of crisps then headed back to the ward.
As I approached the desk Dr O intercepted me. The respiratory consultant had rung back and wanted Eve transferring back to Sheffield. The bug Eve was growing had the potential to make her very sick very quickly and she may need urgent surgery to remove the line. They wanted to do everything they could to avoid that.
So because Eve is ventilated and because of the potential for her to deteriorate suddenly PICU retrieval were being put in action. There followed an hour and a half of phone calls to establish age transfer. Eve had to have XRays and cannulas and feed stopped and fluids running.
David brought up some feed supplies and nappies. Carers were secured for the necessary care at home and suddenly me and Eve and a significant amount of luggage was being loaded into the mobile PICU to head back to Sheffield.
Thankfully Eve behaved herself and the potential for a big fall out between me and the transport practitioner dwindled to nothing, (thanks for the prayer on that one Tia). In fact once we got on the ambulance the prickliness and difficulties completely disappeared and it was a friendly journey. Oddly she put the officious mess back into play when we arrived at Sheffield but I knew I could put the picture straight once she left.
So. Here we sit, on HDU with a very poorly little girl who doesn't look poorly at all.
Thankfully all her infection markers are coming down. Unfortunately other things are popping up to cause concern. But also causing confusion.
Her blood pressure is doing strange things. Her potassium level is fluctuating and today she has thrown raised Liver Function Tests into the mix.
Prayer would be gratefully received.
Thank you xx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment