No not a variation on the Wrong Trousers.
I am sure that most people who have been in Church and sung Hymns have certain Hymns that can spark the tears, spark a memory of a loved one or just be so full of emotion your mouth moves and nothing comes out.
This morning we had a dedication Service. Wonderful! This was the great granddaughter of one of our older Church members. The parents themselves not regular church goers but wanted a dedication service. Super Wonderful! The Church was packed, we actually had to bring in more chairs from the foyer to accomodate the family and friends and regular Church goers...FANTASTIC!
The Srvice started well with usual fun an dlaighter and more serious moments. We have a time of sharing for prayer with both thanksgiving and need brought before the congregation and then open prayer time for anyone to pray.
Then we started with the first Hymn which went well the crowded Church echoing with joyous praise as we all joined in with Take it to the Lord in Prayer.
Ther was time of talking to th eparents and admiring the baby, a few words about why we bring babie to be dedicated but not christened and then two Church members did short Bible readings. Great Grandma erading the story of Jesus blessing the little Children.
The second hymn was the one chosen by the family, Jesus Loves me This I know.
This was the first of those "Wrong Hymns" it has special meaning for My dear friend whose son was a victim of Cot Death. I had gone to Eve to help her to sign this as she loves to sign along to a song she likes. I was unable to offer suport to my friend who ws Rosie watching in the Foyer! I know she knows I care though.
After the Dedication part of the serrvice the children left for Sunday school and we sang again.
The second of the wrong Hymns, This time it was unfortunately the Mum who was caught unawares and totally distraught byt the words, He's got the tiny little baby....this Mum had suffered a Still birth previously and the words had a deep deep meaning to her that she was not ready to cope with. I was priviliged to be able to comfort her as she left the Church, talk with her about her feelings and her emotions and ahelp her to realise those tears were "OK" ther was no shame no cause for embarrassment and certainly no need to feel she could not face the congregation again. The whole Church would be reaching out to her with hearts full of love...that is what our Church does best!
I believe the longest memory that will show the love of our Church to those visiting today though, would eb the fact that the pastor did not just carry on, didnt just stand at the front and continue with the service, Oh No! He left the Church, came out to the foyer and put his arms around this hurting lady and appologised, assured her that it was OK, the song had been stopped after the first verse and we would continue. Ecouraging her to come back, to accept her pain and accept the outpouring of love from the Church.
Praise God she did come back in and the service then continued.....with the third "wrong hymn....this time for me.
He gave me Eyes that I can see....
He gave me lips that I can talk....
He gave me hands that I can feel....
my turn for the tears to fall!
Of course non of these Hymns were the wrong Hymn at all. I am sure they have spoken to us, I am sure that God has spoken to hearts, I am sure that God can be glorified even through the many tears shed.
As I spoke to the Mum after the service I said to her that despite her pain and grief at that moment, It was surely fitting that her first daughter had a place in the dedication service of this baby! In years to come she will be able to lok back and know, that this was so!
So pray please if you will for the family., especially for Mum and also for our Pastor who is very upset that he caused this heartache so unintentionally. I know he will appreciate your prayers!
The wrong Hymn?....No! God can turn our tears into so much better wine for His Glory
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
OH, Tina,
What can we say, save that our prayer,hugs and tears are with you all, Remember us to Nic too please,
Mum and Dad.
Post a Comment