Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Saturday at Disneyland

Well my thoughts for this morning were to hit the Early Magic Hours and come back for breakfast. However the rest if them decided sleeping was more important.
I managed to sneak a quick shower by which time Eve was awake so I got her washed and dressed. Then took David a coffee and woke the other two. It was almost 9am when we arrived at breakfast. Stocking up on all the breakfast goodies took us to half 9 and then discovering Captain Hook
Awaiting photographs took another ten minutes. This meant we arrived at the gates of the Walt Disney Studios just as they opened at 10.
We were a little overwhelmed with decision making but the spotting of Monsters Inc. Statues made our decision for us. We headed to the right. Now, we all love the Monsters Inc. film but the sound of many little kids screaming into the screamometre was just too much. A quick photo or two and we quickly made our way to the flying carpet ride. We were told this was wheelchair accessible so Christina and I took Eve down to the disabled access. At this point we appeared to become invisible. So two rides later I actually went through the gate and stood by the ride. The staff suddenly realised we wanted to take Eve on and became really attentive. They ushered a family out of the accessible car and started to dismantle it.
Quite ingeniously the car swivelled round, the back opened up to form a ramp and the rear seats rolled out.
Eve was rolled in.... And here it all went wrong. Eve's chair was too long and the ramp would not close. We were disappointed but went to take her out. No! The staff were insistent. This was going to work. We took off as many bags as we could. We sat her more upright. Then the male assistant asked if her footplate would come off. It did, the ramp closed and we were ready to fly!!
This had all taken a good 10 minutes and everyone was so pleased Eve could ride. There were no complaints from anyone...David was a bit agitated with embarrassment and I think wished we hadn't tried. But he got lovely photos of Eve's enjoyment.
Then we had another walk around looking at the studio exhibits. Christina spotted the Playhouse Disney show but that showing was already full. The next English one was in half an hour so we decided to go get a drink and find some shelter from the sun. It was perfect blue skies and the sun was very warm. (Joshua finds bright light very painful and as we didn't take the guide dog he was struggling today).
So once we had our drink we headed back to playhouse Disney where the cast member on the gate took us through to the back door and told us to wait. A few minutes later the doors opened and one crowd piled out. Expecting someone to come for us any moment I pushed Eve towards the door, where I was firmly told off by the lady inside. That wasn't where we went in.
A little while later she came and fetched us into a different door where we watched some videos. The crowds gathered and piled by the doors to the auditorium. When these doors opened we were almost trampled. But there were seats reserved for us and people were made to move to allow us all to sit together. Here we saw a story of Stitch and Lilo.
After this we went to the playhouse Disney Live on stage.
Only it was puppets that were quite low down on the stage which made it difficult for Eve to see anything. It was all very lively and some of the story was depicted by projection onto the walls. The music and other effects made Eve smile but it wasn't what we expected and I think she was disappointed that Handy Manny wasn't real.
Her favourite bit of that show was definitely little Einsteins as much of this was projection and audience participation.
After playhouse Disney Joshua and Christina wanted to ride the Hotel Tower of Terror. It was a 30 minute queue according to the signs so David Eve and I had a wander looking at the things around. Then we headed to the exit where we waited another 15 minutes for them to come out.
We then headed for the Tram tour where a French couple were arguing at the disabled exit. After waiting for over 10 minutes we and three other wheelchair groups were told the wheelchair access was not working so could we come back in half an hour. We have up on that.
We decided to have a lunch break and then head back to Disneyland as Eve was wanting another small world ride and Joshua and Christina wanted to try some other rides.
So we once again decided on lunch in McDonald's as it was the easiest for David. He had a Cheese Royal without the bread. Which I am proud to say I was able to ask for in French!!
We even found a table to sit at indoors out of the sun for a while.
Then we headed back to the Park. Joshua and Christina went off in search of thrills whilst we went on a Princess hunt. Rapunzel was not there again so after a quick visit to Mickeys House we went to City Hall to enquire about Winnie the Pooh. Only to discover Winnie was not going to be there for a few days. This was very disappointing as he was one of Eve's wishes to meet. Never mind we had met Eyore and seen Tigger from a distance.
So we wandered back through Frontier Land and booked a ride on the paddle steamer. Christina decided she would rather go off in search of thrills and we agreed to meet outside City Hall at 6.30 in time for the parade at 7pm.
The paddle Steamer cruise was wonderful. Eve really enjoyed seeing all the sights pointed out as we went around Thunder Mountain. We played pee po through the windows in the lounge area as her chair wouldn't fit in and I needed to sit down. Eve thought that was hilarious.
Then it was time to wander back down Main Street to the disabled viewing area for the parade.
We all sat on the kerb to rest as it was only just turned 6pm.
But a Cast Member and and told us we couldn't sit there as the Parade would use all the road. We said we would get up once it was nearer 7.
Eve and I made our way to the disabled area at 6.40 but only one of us was allowed in with her so David and Joshua stayed opposite us with the cameras. Joshua began to feel unwell though so decided he needed to go back to the room for his tablets. This caused us some anxiety as it was getting very crowded, he had neither dog nor came and was already feeling unwell. Christina had not returned either so in the end he went alone.
I was chatting to a couple of families whilst we waited when suddenly someone through their arms round me. I was shocked for a split second until I recognised her as a friend from Essex. She has adopted a little boy who we had not yet met do it was such a wonderful surprise to meet them.
About ten minutes to seven the skies went dark and it began to rain. Gently at first and then it became torrential. Thankfully I had a waterproof poncho for eve under her chair. But I was only in a summer dress.
Once the parade started we forgot the rain and enjoyed the spectacle. The highlight for Eve being Winnie the Pooh on the back of the second to last trailer. Her face lit up.
As the parade ended Joshua returned and David came across to greet our friend. But still no sign of Christina. She was very disappointed to have missed Our friend when we eventually found her at the gates.
The crowd leaving the park was very similar to the crowd at midnight the night before. But we were heading to a restaurant and knew where we were going this time.
Billy Bobs had a Buffet meal and live music so we were heading there.
Once again we seemed to perfect our knack of getting separated. The barman did not seem to understand our problem of stairs and wheelchair. He just said we needed to go upstairs.
Eventually a lady waitress realised our predicament and took me and the girls upstairs via a lift. However David and Joshua had already gone up the stairs to request a table and so once Christina Eve and I were sat at a table we had no idea where the boys were.
I was getting a bit stressed and Christina was getting cross with me for keep asking how I find them. Eventually I spotted them a floor below us. I shouted to them, much to Christina's embarrassment. And they eventually made their way to us.
The waitress who had taken me and the girls up in the lift was wonderful. She kept coming to make sure we were ok, she fetched us drinks and she ensured the children found food they liked. The buffet was incredible. So much choice, I ate far more than I should and then discovered deserts too. Lemon Meringue is mine and Christina's favourite so we had two lots each.
Even David was happy with fruit salad and Jelly. Joshua isn't a pudding boy but he managed to eat plenty of savoury foods.
Eve enjoyed watching the rest of the restaurant and listening to the mixture of sounds. Giving big smiles to anyone who spoke to her and perfecting the art of poking her tongue at anyone who stares for too long.
We discovered part way through our meal we were supposed to pay before we sat down. Our Waitress was very amused by the fact we hadn't done. So after the meal she brought us a bill, she had made it for two adults and two children as she said Joshua and Christina had only eaten Children's portions. This made our bill only just over 100euros which was very good in comparison to the Cafe Mickey. And the food had been delicious.
So we waddled back out the restaurant. Had another mooch through the shops and then back to the hotel.
We were very pleased to see our beds that night. Joshua and Christina made plans to get up and hit the EMH the next morning. Whilst David and I packed.
So we tumbled into bed.
Tina Hillier
Mum to 5 great kids with a vast range of abilities and disabilities between them.
I do not know what the future holds, but I'm glad I know who holds the future.





1 comment:

CarlaBump said...

I often wondered if Eve still adores Winnie The Pooh and clearly she does :)