Tuesday, 31 August 2010

Rheumatology

Today I waved Joshua and David off at 7 am to go visit David's Mum.
I was left with Rosie, Jonathan Eve and Christina. Our carer arrived at 9 am and we gathered together the belongings Rosie would need for holiday club, along with nappies and feed and bits and pieces we may need for Eve, Jonathan and Eve. Then at 9.30 we headed off to Spalding.

Dropping Rosie at the holiday club at ten we made for the town centre. With some frustration we discovered the disabled bays near to the town were all taken and so we had to divert to the Supermarket parking area. As we approached the disabled bays a car pulled out and I pulled in! Wonderful!

Jonathan and I headed into the Wilkinsons Store whislt Sarah and Christina headed off to the post office with an important letter to post. A wander around the store left us a considerable few pounds lighter in the purse, and we still hadnt got what I went in for!

Sarah and Christina caught up with us at the cash desk and we decided to head straight out to the Opticians with Joshua's glasses. By the time we reached the Opticians though Jonathan was becoming somewhat stressed so Sarah took him back to the bus. The lady inthe opticians managed to break the glasses trying to straighten them and so we ended up achieveing very little we had set out to do.

Mc Donalds called irresistably as we headed back towards home.. So a short stop off and eating lunch in the bus, we discovered time was racing ahead and my appointment with the Rheumatologist was drawing near. A quick call in at home for post, the loo, a table for Jonathan and a book for Christina and we were once again headed out to Boston.

Jonathan remained in the Bus with his new colouring books and pencils acquired in Wilko's We headed into the hospital, via the WRVS stall for a cake for Jonathan. Christina and Sarah took that back to him as I booked into clinic.

At dead on 1.40 Mr K called me in. He looked at my feet and hands and moved some other joints making me squeal, He sat back in his chair and threw his arms up!

"I give up"!

I looked at him quzically, he flicked through my bloods results, my scan reports and my drug list, and said
" your bloods give little clue, your scan and my examination of you tells me you still have so much inflamation, I just dont know! I am at the end of my knowledge banks here!"

" I think we have two options"

I replied
"Shoot me?"

"Ok 3 choices!"

We both laughed at this.
He handed me two leaflets with information of drugs on.
He talked about how one targets B cells and the other T cells. BUT he did not know which would be the better option.

So he is referring me on to another specialist in Nottingham.

I am grateful he was honest. No guesing, no pretending he knew best. Honest straight forward and proactive.

He thinks this other guy will advise him on which treatment to choose. I understand both are potent and each has it's own set of side effects. Both are more powerful imunosuppresents than the Methotrexate I am on now, I will take them alongside the drugs I am on now.
I will wait and see!
Meanwhile I need to keep on top of my pain as best I can!
David has offered to practice his William Tell Skills if I decide on the shoot me option!

We got home after collecting Rosie at 4 pm...I dont feel I accomplished much today but I am exhausted! David and Joshua got home about 7 tired but happy.

Is it bed time yet?

Hugs

2 comments:

bethan said...

hope the appointment with the other man comes soon and that whichever option he advises brings relief without too much in the way of side effects. hugs xxx

Yvonne said...

I hope that gouged to the root of the problem soon.