Monday, 25 August 2008

The rain came downand the floods came up

So far I have stood firm!

Tomorrow is birthday day...party day...lots of friends to visit day! I have long since decided I am not super Mum and do not have to prove myself by baking every item on the party table! So if it tips out of a packet and looks yummy it will do!
Burgers sausages and chiken bits lots of rolls cakes and sweets all bought from Morrisons! Sorry Mum just cant bake anymore...not time no energy and beating the cake mix hurts!

OK so shopping was achieved on Saturday, today I planned on wrapping pass the aprcels sorting party bags, checking out plates etc....I could pace myself fairly well, hopefully get some washing out the way and try to have some semblence of order for tomorrow!

It is now 12 minutes past 1 and what have I done today??? Up at 5 am to Eve fitting! Settled her had a coffee, even managed a couple of emails whilst the house was still quiet. a chat with friend on MSN and then Rosie was awake...not a happy bunny...did not want to entertain breakfast...went to check her PEG (feeding tube) she gets a lot of wind so thought maybe letting that go would help....uuuuummmmmm, NO PEG!

Rosie has a nice habit of pulling the end the clamp and the retaining triangle from her PEG....unfortunately this time it had taken advantage of it's freedom and disappeared down into her stomach and headed for it's exit out the rear! AAAGGGHHH!

I rang through to Nottingham where her GI Surgeon hangs out but of course it is Bank Holiday so no secretaries....I asked to be put through to the general surgical ward...thankfully the regestra was on the ward and came to speak with me...his immediate response was Oh she better come in! Not so fast!
"If I bring her in what do you propose?"
OK So she will need a new PEG but that will need a general anaesthetic so we will put a temporary Foley Catheter in place.
I had alrady put a suction catheter in place but this has nothing to keep it in place and a foley catheter has a balloon that can be inflated with water to prevent it slipping out...I can see the sense in the Foley but not the 11/2 hour journey to Nottingham to achieve it. I ask if we can go to our local hospital for that and await an appointment for the replacement PEG....oooh good idea!

OK So 9 am carer arrives and we begin to gather supplies for a hospital trip...at this point I realise Jonathan's head is not only crusty and yukky looking but is now actually weeping! I decide to take him with me and request they take a swab!

We arrive on the ward greeted by staff we know...phew what a relief, Foley catheter and other necessities supplied! ( we wil need different feeding kit and a seperate spigot to close it off). I ask if they can possibly take a swab of Jonathan's head and they agree immediately! Praise God for sensible Nursing staff!
Thankfully we are away from the ward before half ten and head off to Asda for birthday cake which we forgot on Saturday...and home in time for lunch!
What have I achieved today...precisely nothing really!
Now by Thursday evening I wil have taken three children to three hospitals in three counties! Is that some kind of achievement?
hugs
Tina

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Just get a badge saying Wonder Woman!
Hope evening is less "busy"

heidi @ ggip said...

Good job getting them the help they need. Hope your party goes great!

Alesha said...

RYC: LOL, Tina! You do know that I have to LIVE the post before I can write about it, right?!? :-)

Praying the party is lovely and without incident!

Alesha

You mean there's more??? said...

I love these quiet and uneventful times....

Writing from bed as management looks on right move.

R