Monday, 8 December 2008

A twist in the tail?

Hmm the CdLS blog chalenge is to name our holiday traditions....well most of those are out the window this year. We usually put the decorations up the Sunday before Christmas but as our house has missing walls, ceilings, windows, and lots more I am not sure they will actually go anywhere! We have considered a tubbed tree on the new deck outside the lounge! I have spotted some nice real ones in a nearish store and will hopefully persuade David that one would look god and not break the bank!
We have a nice Nativity set that will find a safe flat surface out of Rosie's reach somewhere! Rosie's favourite holdiay tradition is to wreck any deecoration within her reach! She does like the lights but has not yet understood that they are not enhanced by being chewed! We had to go for the low voltage ones a long while ago...do you remember the ones that plugged straight into the mains? 24ov chewed was not a good plan!

We stopped eating Christmas dinner on Christmas day a few years ago...life is busy enough here without adding a full roast celebratory dinner on a day when the children wanted to show me share with me and be with me all day long...so we now eat our dinner on Christmas Eve...if gives us the turkey sandwhiches on Christmas day and the kids can eat what junk they like for one day only! I cook sausages, sausage rolls and party nibbles, have mince pies and crisps and whatever else they vfancy hanging around. We spend the day being together and cuddling and playing and being close!

Last year we played things differently as Rosie decided to visit Children's ward Christmas Eve and Christmas morning...but we still managed a good day!

A few years ago I stopped sending Christmas cards...instead we donate money to a charity where it will be used to far better effect and over the last few years we have bought less and les unwanted gifts for family and friends, choosing to donate that to charity too...a school in the Gambia has been our focus for a few years but a different school is our choice this year, where an ex teacher of Joshua and Christina's has connections. I just need to get my act together and actually send the money!
Christmas is creeping up on us fast! We have had lots of appointments in the last couple of weeks and a few more to come. Todays was another Eve blow! Her spine is causing problems with her sitting and her breathing and we have tried a brace that caused damage ot the skin on her back. Today we have had long conversations with the orthotics departement, been cast for a different kind of brace and stared in horror at the large red wheels caused on her back by the plaster scisors cutting off the cast! Eve is now fast asleep, exhausted by the whole process. She was very good and didnt complain at all. In fact she was full of smiles and giggles! Thank goodness for that smile!
Merry Christmas!


6 comments:

Misty said...

Your holiday tradition sounds so nice! I love the video! good thoughts and prayers for Eve's health!

Anonymous said...

Tina, I love your idea of having the big meal on Christmas Eve and then just nibbling on Christmas day...nice to just spend quiet time with the kids. I also like the idea of giving to charity rather than cards and gifts.

Oh yes, and Jessica has chomped a few Christmas lights herself!! :-)

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

heidi @ ggip said...

I think it is such a great idea that you have your big meal on Christmas eve instead of Christmas! Another blogger was saying that they even spread some of the celebrating to St Nicholas day and that is a great thing to spread it out instead of having so much on one day.

I hope you are able to have a more relaxing holiday this year!

Sara x said...

Those smiles make days like these bearable. Livvy used to do just the same. Life could be chaos around her and she would just smile. Oh for the innocence of children. Hugs and thanks for your support x

Rachelle said...

You have a lot of wonderful sounding traditions. I would love to stay home and cuddle with the kids on Christmas Day but we always travel to see family. Hope Eve is doing better and that everyone stays healthy for the holiday!

~Rachel said...

Christmas day enjoyingthe kids is so nice. I hope all gets better for Eve. Merry Christmas.