Tuesday, 16 November 2010

Happy Birthday Mum and Dad

Today is My Mum and Dad's Birthdays. As a child I thought everyone's Mum and Dad had their birthdays on the same day. It was quite a surprise to me to find out that they didn't.

I have known for a few weeks that Mum and Dad's birthday's were coming up. Indeed I took Christina out to choose birthday cars with me over a week in advance. We spent ages choosing cards. Grandma's had to be tactile so she could feel the outline and know we had thought about her particulalry. For those of you who don't know, My Mum is blind. Granddad's cards had to tell him how much we love him. Granddad has been very poorly for some time. Indeed we really did not expect him to be here to celebrate this birthday and I know that he is longing for his home calling.

Ever since my Dad has known he has been terminally ill he has set his sight on the Glory that is to come. he has lived his life to one day meet his Saviour face to face. So often now when I am singing a Hymn that mentions Heaven, meeting Jesus face to face, being in God's glorious presence, my thoughts turn to my Dad and his longing. I have come to long for him to meet his Saviour too. Much as I want him here and now, I know that heaven is the home that is calling him and calling me too.

Store up your treasure's in Heaven, the scriptures tell us. Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith. Dad's illness has made me think more of my own longing for My Saviour. I am so grateful to my parents for instilling in me the knowledge of Jesus as my Saviour. I have so many happy memories of my childhood. Of being in the presence of Christians regularly, singing choruses and hymns that give us a tiny glimpse of heaven. A taster that breeds a longing for the real thing.

As I thought about Mum and Dad's birthday this year I was drawn to thinking of our life without Dad. Which led me to think of Dad's new life in Heaven. then the thoughts of those who have already left this life to live for ever in heaven. the thoughts of a reunion, a great big party and celebration in Heaven. Those thoughts became more honed on Saturday night when I learnt that our carer and friend had had to say a final goodbye to her Mum. The grief we know they will be experiencing made very real with our own knowledge of the frailty of life. Not just Dad but Eve, and Rosie and Jonathan. David's Mum and friends around us.

The words of scriptrure that tell us we do not mourn as those without hope. How wonderful the knowledge of Heaven and the glory that is to come. How much it takes away the finality of mourning. We are not immune to grief as Christians. The loss and pain are still real, but the certain hope of an eternity with Jesus does take away the hopelessness of death.

Meanwhile we have our lives to live. Our race to run. to the finishing line! Each day a gift to live to the glory of God.
Even though I managed to have myself so organised with cards bought a week in advance......some things never change and they didnt get in the post until this morning!

So Sorry Mum and Dad. my organisational skills are getting worse as I get older!

Hope you have had a lovely birthday. It will last a little longer with extra cards to open in the morning,

I know the children at Sarah's Covenant Homes will enjoy the music from the Key Board and the sofa that has been recovered with the money we have sent for your Birthday and Christmas presents this year.

With all our love to you both

David, Tina, Jonathan, Rosie, Joshua, Christina and Eve

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

No comments: