I was having intermittent contractions and regular doplar scans to check the blood flow from the placenta to the baby. Eventually at 37 weeks + 3 they decided to induce my labour. I was allowed out of bed and encouraged to move around. Contractions began in earnest. But little else happened. For three days they were trying to establish labour but the contractions continued every 5 minutes with no resulting progress.
On the Wednesday evening the consultant came, examined me and declared I was 4 centimetres dilated. She suggested I took some sleeping tablets and they start again tomorrow. I told her the baby comes out tonight or we forget it!!
I was a little overtired and in considerable pain not to mention worried for the baby as they had not checked the blood flow since begining the induction on Monday.
Anyway on reviewing my notes and listening to the baby she agreed and a Caesarean was agreed to be the way forward. I was hooked up to a monitor and suddenly things got moving. A period of slowed baby heart beat seemed to trigger a panic and I was moved through. Gas and air was my best friend at this point whilst epidural was administered and all the other preperations went on.
Once in theatre the mood was cheerful. The surgeon was of the same nationality as the football team playing England that evening and there was continual banter and laughter as things progressed. As the baby was lifted from my tummy at 8.06 on Wednesday 20th November. The surgeon looked and said. Oh dear it's a boy shall I put him back and try again?
Everyone laughed as he was wrapped the chord cut and he was placed on my chest. He looked quite blue and quite cross but beautiful.
My thoughts turned to the day I first held Luke in my arms and I said to the midwife. There really is mo difference you know. This is just how I felt when Luke, Jonathan and Rosie were placed in my arms.
David went out with the midwife as they sewed me up. They seemed to be gone a long time. Someone went to find them and they had just been chatting. I held Our baby once again as David held my hand and stroked babys head.
Eventually I was all sewn up and the porters came to take us to the ward. The surgeon came back through and asked if we had a name?
We looked at each other and said.
Joshua James.
Joshua meaning God is our Saviour. And James after our Doctor who had been so good to us since Benjamin's death the year before.
Much has happened through Joshua's 14 years. He has overcome disappointments, risen to challenges of Chronic Juvenile Arthritis, Asthma and kidney disease. Rarely mentioning his pain other than to ask for pain killers. He has more recently born the loss of his vision with amazing bravery and risen to the challenge of life with very poor vision. He copes so well that others often have no idea how difficult things are for him.
In 14 years he has made us proud so often.
Happy Birthday young man.
We love you so much.
Mum and Dad.
Tina Hillier
Mum to 5 great kids
I do not know what the future holds. But I'm glad I know who holds the future.




2 comments:
God TIna,
You have left me speachless on a Sunday morning.
Happy Birthday Joshua, may you have many more.
May your life be all you want it to be.
R
Happy birthday Joshua - hope you had a lovely day
Post a Comment