Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Oxgen Concentrators come with wheels!

It was a busy night last night. I couldnt sleep. The wind was howling and my mind just wont switch off. I must have dozed off because at 3am I was suddenly aware of an odd sound from the intercom...brain creeping back into action it wasnt the beep a dee beep beep of the Sats monitor...wasnt the oxygen concentrators hum and wasnt Rosie kicking the bed in frustration...I knew that sound....IT WAS THE SOUND OF A TONIC CLONIC SEIZURE!!!

I goit down stairs and checked her she was still fitting, went to the cupboard got the Diazepam and went back she was still fitting...administered Diazepam and it still took almost another minute before the seizure began to subside....Rosie struggled coughed and turned over and went back to sleep. This is very unusual but rather than worrying about it and doing further checks I took advantage and returned to my bed.

Still unable to sleep my thoughts turned to prayer...a friends child taken ill the day before and in hospital with pnumonia...a child who has had far too much unexplained illness and a family in need of love and care....my prayers were for them....there is also still so much heartache and uncertainty on Special Kids in The UK forum so my more general prayers turned to those needs. Returning to S and H and flowing through my usual prayer list...I must have drifted off again as I was again woken this time by a much more agitated noise and at 5.15 I decided sleep was lost and I best start the day.
I prepared Rosie's breakfast and then let her out of bed...she was grey, wobbly, fell a few times in drop seizures, her eyes were all over the place and she must have had 4 or 5 absences in the next 20 minutes. She was not interested in her breakfast and I decided to resort to some more rescue medicine, a tablet form this time so I managed to persuade her to take a mouthful of yoghurt with the crushed tablet in...we cuddled and then went back to bed then cuddled some more...Carer arrived at 6,45 and we took Rosie for a bath...twitching and falling and shaking, she was quite markedly blue and mottled in the bath and once dressed we took her down to check her oxygen levels...she was VERY low. Rosie does not tolerate monitoring or oxgen masks or anything we do to try to help her!
It was a battle and struggle to try and get some oxygen on her...when we succeeded the levels came up but when we failed they were dropping again. She had her usual morning medicines with parecetmol and Brufen added...we gave up on breakfast and allowed her to go back to bed...the Oxygen concentrator was working hard and moving around the room to try and get her to accept some help...the monitor probe was on and off and the bleeps and the numbers were bouncing around. Eventually we got a sensible level reading and knew she needed to be assessed at the hospital.
School runs were rejiggled and calls made and then at last the morning tasks were done.
The bus arrived and Eve and Jonathan headed off...without much of the requested information and belongings but the important stuff was done!
David then took Joshua anc Christina whilst I rang Christina's school to tell them she would be late and why.
A call in to Rosie's school to let them know her situation and then off to the ward!

After a frustrating wait...a battle with Rosie to check her Sats and a Dr listening to her chest and failing to look in her ears or throat and then back home with antibiotics and a tired Rosie who has thankfully fallen asleep!
Is it bed time yet?

2 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

Wow, I can believe that you are exhausted. Prayers coming your way.

Robyn said...

hugs and love x