Well Actually we haven't got her Children's Ward HDU have got her.
Over the last 48 hours or so Eve has become less well. Heart Rate doing silly things and lots of secretions.
yesterday we had a call from school to say they were worried about her. I went to fetch her and she was racing away at 150 bpm and needing more 02 than normal so i brought her home and put her on the settee to rest. Put the ventilator on to let her rest and she seemed a little better.
Later in the evening her alarms set off and her heart rate was over 160 and her Sats were dropping to silly numbers. Chest physio, take her off the vent and turn up the O2 and we seem to have a bit better numbers.
Then as the evening went on things became less settlable. I really did not want to go to hospital as I had an important meeting this morning I really didnt want to miss. So many important things going on and trying to prioritise is not so easy. We know Eve can go downhill fast and can sometimes pick up quickly too so we decided to jus wait it out and see how she was through the night.
It was a long night. Eventually she settled with acceptable numbers on the Ventilator on 8 litres of 02. I slept with her...well I lay with her silencing the alarms as they went off.
This morning she was looking just a little bit better, HR was below 160 anyway and Sats were maintained on 3 litres of 02. So up dressed in her chair and off to the Solicitors. I was very glad to get that behind us but Eve was not doing well. I decided to take her straight to Children's ward without going home to ring them. I did ring the QTVI before I left the car park and asked if she would divert her visit home to the ward.
We arrived on the ward and it was obvious that it was expected I should have rung first. However within a few minutes they could understand why I had come straight in, and they burst into action. ECG monitor, SATs monitor two Doctors checkin for veins to cannulate and within ten minutes of us being there the consultant appeared on the ward having been summoned by an urgent call to clinic!
Blood gasses done and cannula in She is now on IV antibiotics and IV fluids.
Whilst the Doctors and nurses clamoured around Eve QTVI and I discussed the Proposed Statement for Joshua. I had to keep stopping to suction Eve or answer some questions but we managed to achieve an agreed amendment list and QTVI set off for her next meeting. She had taken a call on her mobile, (naughty naughty) and I heard her ask is that the room with the comfy chairs...it wasnt...I asked if she was going to boyecot the meeting then but she thought she ought to go!
Eve continued to struggle and need suction, the Physio came and bashed her well and we got lots of thick gloopy gunk. X Ray came and took an X ray, Consutant came back and declared the Xray useless.
They are treating her for a chest infection and possible viral problem too. There is concern due to how ill she became last time. We are unable to stay with her on the ward due to the needs at home. Even worse Joshua has an appointment in London tomorrow so we cant visit tomorrow either. We trust the nursing staff on the ward and the Consultant has left fairly detailed instructions and we will remain in contact by phone.
The inevitable End of Life Plans discussion came up. They need to know what to do IF!
We have asked that if she deteriorates then to keep us informed but that we would want them to do all in their power to give us time to get there! The consultant is saying she is doing OK at the moment but she cannot say whther she will just get better now being treated or if she may get worse. We needed to be sure of what we wanted whilst we were not there but I didnt really want that to dwell on on the journey tomorrow. Roll on getting home!
So all prayers welcomed. For Eve, For the staff caring for her, For our safety tomorrow in traveling, For Joshua as he faces another in depth discussion on his vison, for the rest of them at home while we are away!
Many thanks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
My goodness, it's coming at you from all directions.
I was trying to think of something witty to say to cheer you up but I am afraid I am stumped.
Actually things could be worse, they can always be worse.
You are in my thoughts.
Take care
Post a Comment