Friday, 10 December 2010

Just another Day

Hospital appointment yesterday, just for a change. This time it was Jonathan to the Grown Up Congenital Heart Clinic. This meant a trip to Leicester. Leicester being about 2 hours drive from here we decided to take Joshua and Christina to school and head straight off. Hoping to find the Hospital easily and have time for a brief nosey at Leicester Shopping Centre.
Well we found the hospital easily and just under two hours too. This gave us two and a bit hours to do a little shopping have lunch and get back to clinic.

Finding a place to park was not quite as easy as finding the hospital but we didn't do too bad and found a meter parking spot where Disabled were free. It was just a few hundred yards from the large indoor mall too so just right. We all needed a visit to the toilets and then something to eat and drink. So we settled for House of Frazer. The Restaurant was quiet so we decided to risk getting Jonathan a breakfast and a drink and eating in. Twice in one week he managed to sit at a table and eat a meal without getting too anxious. We were very proud of him.

We went for a gentle wander around the shops and bought a couple more presents before heading back to the car. As we were wandering along the air was suddenly filed with the sound of an amazing male singer. It was so striking I was stopped in my tracks to look for where it was coming from. I wasn't sure but we continued walking in then we saw him. I was hoping upon hope he had some CDs, I had never heard a voice like it. He had no accompaniment was just singing into an amplified Mike. I was so grateful he had CD's, Without faltering in his song he indicated to me the CDs were £8 each and I paid and we walked off. Straining my ears to hear him for as long as possible. At least David has a couple of presents for me now! lol.

So we arrived back at the car 45 minutes before the appointment time. Perfect. Of course then followed the inevitable search for the car keys. David checked his coat pockets, I checked my coat pockets, David checked his coat pockets again, then took off his coat and checked his trouser pockets then checked his coat pockets. Jonathan opened the car door and sat in! I glared at David. I went to check the boot as I remembered David had opened the boot as I got out the car. Then I wen to look through the drivers door window...there were the car keys sat in the ignition...what's more the ignition was switched on.
We held our breaths as David turned the keys but the engine purred into life and we set off. It was a beautiful day, sun shining and at long last above freezing...a balmy 3.5 degrees in the positive. But the winter sun was low in the sky and it made seeing the signposts and the markings on the road difficult. Two or three times we took the wrong exit and went a round about way to the hospital but we found it and a parking space and went in. Of course Grown Up Congenital heart Clinic is nowhere near the main entrance. I swear it must have involved traversing every inch of corridor in the hospital. We arrived and I collapsed in a heap on the nearest chair! David went to book in but the Receptionist had not yet arrived. The morning clinic was still running and it was now time for afternoon clinic. Some happenings are universal no matter which hospital you attend.
When the receptionist arrived it was obvious she was used to young children. Every patient was greeted in the most patronising way. bearing in mind some of these Grown Up Patients were in their mid 50s it must have been somewhat frustrating.

Anyway, we eventually got in to see the Doctor who had no notes whatsoever! Apparently the Cardiologist at Boston had referred Jonathan in a letter that said, please would you see this young man who has had some difficulties and had previous heart surgery!

So we had scan and ECG and blood pressure monitoring. There are some concerns about the amount of leak on one of the Valves, some concern over the ECG and some real possibility that his behavioural outbursts could indeed be due to the Cardiac situation. However they need to write to Alder Hey, Bristol and Southampton to get all the notes and reports before they can decide how worried to be about the Valves and ECG So they will see us in Six months.

All of that of course took almost 21/2 hours and it is now 4pm. We need a drink and something else to eat before heading home so head to the Cafe! Jonathan again manages to remain inside... great!

We arrived home a little before 6.30 just in time to join everyone else for tea which Iris and Joshua had cooked.Delicious. A little while to unwind then the post to tackle! Amongst the junk was a large Brown envelope addressed to Parent or Guardian of Joshua Hillier. It was the long awaited proposed Statement....I am sure I heard it bleat as I opened the pages! Woolly Woolly! Not a thing is specified or quantified. Most of the phrases are direct lifts from Advice from professionals. There are some areas of the advice that is so grammatically unsound let alone inaccurate that I despair! (OK I know my spelling and grammar leaves a lot to be desired but I am not a teacher or Educational Professional).
I have now spent the best part of today discussing this with the QTVI, the LEA named person and have spent hours trying to rewrite it properly. I think I may ned the whole 15 days to get it right!

So meanwhile I have had to remain calm when the company we bought Joshua's rugged computer from has rng to say it is not going to be out to us before Tuesday! ARGHHHH I wanted it for Monday as I have arranged a big meeting at school!
I really need to tidy the lounge so we can consider Christmas decorations and at some point today I need to consider what I am going to feed my kids on tonight!
So best go!

No comments: