Friday, 27 June 2008

Hospital!

As I mentioned on the prom post yesterday Rosie had an eye clinc appointment at GOSH. We have rather a lot of hospital appointments...this week we were saved one when the Peadiatrician kindly saw Joshua whilst he was at the local hospital for his eye clinic. Next week we have 4 on Monday one each day for the rest of the week and another long distance one on Friday. ThankfullyEve's ENT appointment arrived today...mixed feelings there as I am not so sure I really want to hear the answers to her breathing issues.

Anyway back to yesterdays trip. We had to leave home by 7.30, collect carer and aim for the Station for the 8.31 train to London. Unfortunately the traffic had built up around some road works and we did not make the 8.31. I was not too worried as I know that Eye clinic at Great Ormond Street is alway running late and no one ever minds if people are a little late arriving. I think the fact that many of the patients are coming from a fair distance away has developped a very understanding nature amongst the staff. The whole clinic atmosphere is one of fun and camaradary. We eventually caught the 9.21 train, it was aimed to arrive at Kings Cross at10.23 our appointment was 10.30...not too bad. we had a few minutes of concern over the parking and I resigned myself to the fact there was a fair chance I would have a ticket to argue about once I got back. I was parked in a disabled bay, displaying a current disabled badge....however the other side of the road were normal parking spaces with a 20 minute waiting limit. We were not sure if the 20 minutes applied to the disabledbay or not....I hoped not!

The journey was good. Rosie was easily pacified wih a ready supply of her crackers and cheese. We had onlyone other traveller in our area who was not upset by any of Rosie's behaviours. We arrived at Kings Cross no theworse for wear. We eventually found the taxi rank and were speeding to Great Ormond Street. the driver was a very pleasant man and willingly helped us in and out and happily gave a receipt. We had arrived in the familiar setting and Rosie was soon at home destroying the play area and keeping her carer on his toes clearing up after her. The consultant came and said hello as he alwas does and eventually we were seen by another doctor who was very very pleasant,very at ease with Rosie despite her less than keeness to coperate. just trying to look ather eyes was a three person task, putting drops in was even harder. Thankfully her eyes are not scratched at all but are extremely dry, we have to perservere with her lubricating ointnment. this sounds easy but trying toget it actuallyinher eye is a nightmare...we willgive it a go. we have a half hour reprieve now in which to get a drink, go to the loo, look at the shop etc whilst the dilating drops do their job. We do all of those things and alsomanage to find the friends of Great Ormond Street and join too. Eve now has a beautiful teddy courtesy of Friends of Great Ormond Street.
Back to clinic then and eventually we are called in to have Rosie's vision checked. Now this isnot the easy task it may seem. It involves one person holding the legs,another her body and another her hands whilst the Docor endeavours toshine a light inher eyes through a lens whilst opening her eye! Everyone apart from Rosie is worn out by this procedure but at last we have a reading!
It is at this moment of the consultation that I decided to ask myquestions about Joshua. wow was I glad I did. Joshua has some significant difficulties with his vision and we wanted to kno what help there was for him.
The Doctor we were seeing gave us the name of an Ophtalmologist who had an interest in genetic issues.He suggested we request a referal to him. This will now be our plan.

We eventually left the hospital at 1.45 and managed tofind a taxi reasonably close by. We caught the 3.15 train back home and were relieved to find the minibus without any parking ticket attatched!
The Prom forJonathan and Rosie and bowling for the rest of us were a nice end to the day all be it making the day a tad too long. Weeventually arrived home at 9.45pm with lots of tired childrenand an exhausted Mummy. I thinkI used all my spoons forth nextmonth and a half!

I do not know what the future holds, but I am glad I know who holds the future!

No comments: