Tuesday, 24 June 2008

Took on the electric company and won!

Yooo Hooo! How good does that feel?

Had a letterfro them this morningtellingus they were going to increase our monthly direct debit from £75 a month to £248 a month. I rang and told them they werent now they aren't!

Well perhaps there was a little more to it than that!
rewind to last October! We recieved a letter from electric company saying they had omitted to send us a bill! Now maybe we shouldhave realised we had not been paying an electric bill but we do all these things by direct debit because we do not have the time energy or commitment to ensure bills are paid! Having resolved to put everything on automatic I rarely go and check unless forsome reason the checks are remade out of rubber and I feel a need to go and find out why!
Ok I rang the company and explained this and they said well would you kindly put a check for £1567.45 in the post for us please? Now I dont know about you but i do not have that sort ofmoney floating around unused so I declined their kind offer!
We also disputed the amount it w s rather a steep bill we felt. Apparantly there is no way anelectric meter can be wrong! I was not convinced and asked it was looked at! IN the meantime I agreed to set up a direct debit for the amount of electric we had been using on the card payment the first month we were inthe house. I then agreed to the basic repayment terms for the outstanding balance...that is set in law for those on certain benefits! I was not refusing to pay for what we were using now just the amount their ineptitude had caused us toacrue! Eventually it was agreed and we have been paying this now forthelast 6 months. our recent bill showed we were using slightly more electric than that and we knew we were going tohave to adjust the payment. However we were not expecting it to increase by that much!

I rang the company and spoke to nice lad who told me they had worked out our usage added in the balance and divided it by 12 months to get the monthly payment. I pointed out they could not add in the balance that had been acrued by their ineptitude! I explainedand he said he could understand my point of view but we could not be on the direct debit scheme inthat case! I disagreed, pointing out we had gone onto the direct debit scheme with that agreement. It was the only way I could assure them of regular payment. he went to talk tohis boss and came back tellingme I couldn't, i asked to tell the boss himself I could! I stressed again I was not wanting to avoid paying the amount we wereusing that was not an issue, I divided the 6 month bill by 6 and told him i was happy to pay that plus the standard debt recovery amount! He went off again totalk with his boss and came back saying, they would accept that!
I thanked him profusely for his help and hung up a happy woman!

Why can't all my battles be resolved so easily?

Mr S J please take note! I am happy to be fair! I am not hapy to be taken for a fool!

If God is for me who can be against me? Romans 8 v 31

No comments: