God's Riches at Christ's Expense!
The unmerited, unearnt, freely given, love of God!
But what about the unmerited kindnesses shown to us by people we meet?
The CdLS Blog Chllenge for today is to talk about some unexpected kindness shown to us when others we had expected help from walk away...once our child with special needs arrives in our lives.
We have experienced many highs and lows of support and disappointment over the years. Some friends have dwindled away whilst in other cases complete strangers have reduced us to tears of gratitude by their kindness.
Last November we were led into a group of complete strangers who have shown themselves to be amazingly giving people. God had been prodding me for a while and eventually I left home one Sunday morning to seek a Church where God would have me worship...it was three weeks later as a consequence of the events of that morning me and all 5 kids arrived with much caffuffle amongst these amazing people!
Me and the kids do not make for a discrete entrance...no sneaking in at the back...no we stop the traffic...or the sermon....and arrive at the front of the Church.....Joshua can't see otherwise...and the minister assures us to take our time and get settled. Not one person was heard to tut, or mutter, or even really distract from their thoughts.I had to let Rosie out of her wheelchair or she would have become very distressed..once loose Rosie managed to escape my grasp and plonk herself on a nearby lap! The lady owner smiloed her consent at me and I managed to organise everyone else into a seat and the minister continued with his message...we sang a couple of Hymns and listened to a children's talk....my head was twisting this way and that trying to keep track of where Rosie was when suddenly a tap on my sholder from a lady sat behind me!
"will you relax! No-one will let her escape she is fine!"
With that I decided to trust! I would concentrate on the word until someone got mad and demanded I leave!
The Junior Church left after the second hymn and many hands came and checked the ages and abilities of the children and they were all whisked away...I was assured they would come and fetch me if needed and I knew that Christina and Joshua were capable of dealing with anything that may need attention.
Since that day I have become dependant on many members of the Church for many things.
Nic and Sue the minister and his wife are two of my dearest friends locally...I must confes that I often do not treat Nic with the respect maybe I should..I mean by that that he is first and foremost in my mind a very good friend...the fact he happens to be the minister of The Church of which I am soon to become a full member...is very second place. Sue and I have much in common, and actually there is some common interest between David and Nic which has led to a trust there too. We share some common heartaches and a similar sense of humour...I know I can rely them to do anything within their power to help when needed....including a 2 hour each way trip to bring me keys at the hospital!
Nic and Sue have three beautiful compasionate caring children...I love them all dearly and so do my kids! Their eldest daughter Bethan was Rosie's carer for the summer months and we miss her desperately now she has gone back to Uni.
Sarah is picking up the caring role in bits and pices...always willing to help out whenever she can...she has an amazing love for Rosie despite...or because of the bruises and pinches she recieves.
Grace is a good friend to Joshua and Christina...she also has a love for Rosie and Eve although I think maybe Eve is her favourite! We love having Grace round to play. She has also come with me to watch Rosie when we have been on a trip out.
Nic as I mentioned is our minister...he is phased by ver very little...can incorporate a comment to a child into his message without the bat of an eyelid...has been grabbed by the tie and nearly throttled by Rosie on more than one occasion and just carries on. This morning he was actually preaching with Rosie in his arms for a good ten minutes...I think arm ache was prevelant at the point I took her off him....although Eve had voiced her displeasure and told him firmly to
Put her DOWN!
We were trying to get some photos for Nic and Sues 25th Wedding Anniversary back in June...it was impossible to get a photo where Nic was not interacting with Rosie...his loe for ALL our kids is so evident!
Not only is it the ministers family who express such love. Rosie lap hops every Sunday...members of the Church know her preference for a pile of books and are willing to go out and help her choose the right ones, often give up their hymn books for her...and on at least one occasion she has torn the cover off a Bible...I was mortified...the owner was dismissive of the incident!
The Church secertary is now our Morning and overnight carer...once a week she brings Christina back from Girls Brigade and stops the night to allow us an uninterupted nights sleep. This is after arriving at our home at 7 am to help get the girls ready for school arriving back again at 3.30 to meet the bus and take Christina to Girls Brigade, running Girls Brigade and then coming back.
Iris and Rosie have a fantastic relationship.
Everyone within the Church has a huge love for our family...it would seem all we have brought to the church is disruption and anxiety...they are always ready to pray, care deeply about each illness and concern and surround us with love and acceptance!
Thank you
LSBC I give thanks for you all daily...always in my prayers and although I dont often get to speak to you I appreciate everything you do for us seen and unseen!




2 comments:
Such a wonderfully welcoming church full of people of God. Knowing the story of how you came to be there, it is quite definitely an example of God's hand at work. I'm so pleased that you have that support.
Tia
GINGER beer? Would not let the stuff past my lips.....
Post a Comment