Friday, 16 January 2009

Children in Need meeting

Our Social Services team has held regular multi agency meetings for our family since we arrived on their patch. At the first one 14 professionals arrived at our home to sit amidst the piles of boxes less than 4 weeks after we moved here. There aim was to learn more about our family, to understand the needs of the children and to build a package of care to ensure all of the complex and varied needs were met by the various agencies.
At that meeting we were so very pleasantly surprised by the genuine desire to get it right! The determination to understand the desire of our hearrts to meet our children's needs and the realisation there was no quick fix but a need for short, medium and long term plans.
The second meeting was held just three weeks later, again we were left stunned that so many of the claims and promises had been fulfilled. Others were actively being persued and a care package was evolving.
Two years on and we have for the most part remained impressed and satisfied with a large part of the services offered and the support provided, There have been hiccups and frustrations along the way. One serious failure has been the OT support (or rather lack of) around the Disabled Facilities Grant. Another has been the move into Adult services for Jonathan.
We are now into a period of change, an need for more flexible working, more understanding of medical issues and increasing need. Change of staff within the service. Moving between service providers and a serious failure of one/maybe two providers has all worked together to unsettle the unity of the care provision. Culminating in a lively and somewhat frustrating and yet forward moving CIN meeting this Monday.
All the children now have individual Social workers The meeting was chaired by Rosie's. Attended by Eve's S.W 2 persons from continuing care, schholmedical advisor, school nurse for 3 children,Head teacher from special school. Head of Christina's school, (she also kindly hosted the meeting )An LEA representative for SEN, two physios,Sensory impaired service teacher myself and as a very last minute addition Nick our minister. I think I have forgotten someone but can't think who.
Anyway, I had got myself into a mild panic as I left home for the meeting as I am just not ready to face the possibilities of Eve's future. The thought of needing to sumarise the last few months in her life to this roomful of peoople filled me with fear...hence I arrived at school in total panic, School secretary to the rescue and I rang Nick who through God's provision was free to come.*
My anxieties came tumbling out to Vanessa who was so able to listen and offer her sholder without pretending to understand but able to just absorb my emotions for a moment...then just before the meeting started brought me the hugest mug of black coffee and a box of tissues....I dont think she has any idea of how much that meant to me right then...if you read this Vanessa thank you so much. Between you and Nick you made me feel so cared for.
Much was discussed, many concerns aired, no promises made, as predicted I fell apart discussing the new routes ahead for Eve. School managed to minimise her issues whilst LEA managed to exagerate them...I am not sure we made much progress but we have knocked on doors and promised to knock again harder when we have more answers.
I think some people still have the same desire to meet the need....those absent will receive minutes...Joshua;s school. Connexions, Jonathan's SW, OT, Hospice, Action for Young Carers.

Now we are moving too rapidly towards Eve's results and the need to abandon my alter Ego of the ostrich. So wanting answers yet afraid of what they hold.

This morning reading through old emails I found this:-


"Faith" It Out Till You Figure It Out!When life gets...difficult, don't jump to the conclusion that God isn't on the job.1 Peter 4:12 TM Within months Fred Whiteman went through more pain than most of us in our entire lifetime. Cancer claimed his best friend. Then his mum died and his wife was killed. Next, he underwent a heart transplant. And while he was still recovering he had to deal with cancer and a lawsuit. When Fred gets to heaven he can compare notes with Job! So is he bitter and cynical? No, he did what David said, "When my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I" ( Psalm 61:2). When you're overwhelmed it's easy to "jump to the conclusion that God isn't on the job." But Fred says, "When we can't figure it out, we have to faith it out." Here's what he learned from adversity: (a) It shows you how much you need God. It reminds you of your humanity; that you're just a heartbeat from eternity. (b) It produces character, refines the integrity of your heart and takes away the desire to play games. (c) It lets God use you by showing others that in their darkest hour He'll be there for them too.Paul says that "nothing shall separate us from the love of Christ" (See Romans 8:35). So when you start wondering, "Why did God let this happen?" remember, He never said you wouldn't face adversity. No. He said you'd never be outside His care. So don't judge God's love based on your circumstances - instead look for Him in the midst of them.

God's provision in Nic being available for me on Monday Morning was truly amazing. He had been expecting to take an assembly at the local Primary school so if I had asked him any earlier he would not have been able to come and I would not have thought to ring him. I tried to ring him from my mobile phone but the battery was dead...when I arrived at school the first time I rang the phone was engaged...I was anxious enough to try for a third time and got through to him....the school had just cancelled his assembly! How good is our God?

My emotions are in turmoil right now...so much going on so many needs to meet so much to fear in the future....however like the rolling boiling seas beneath in the depths of my heart is a Peace that passeth understanding, the knowledge that God is over all...Almighty, in control governs my heart! Whatever the future holds...Underneath are the Everlasting Arms!

No comments: