Wednesday, 17 September 2008

It's Official!

I am falling apart at the seams! I had an appointment with my rhuematologst today. Mr B waved me off with the comment...glad you are taking time for yourself! Lol the best I can do is attend a hospital appointment for me instead of one of the kids!
I had been tempted to cancel this appointment as I have really failed to keep on top of all my drugs, blood tests and monitorings, since Eve topped our worry list in June! I was persuaded by people who care that I should go, as rather than being annoyed with me maybe the doctor would help me to keep better track! Of course you were right.

An hour plus drive to the hospital though takes it's toll...I was struggling to keep my arms up to hold the wheel by the time I pulled into the car park. The manouvering to get into the space was extemely painful...note to self, must contact motability about a steering knob! Managed to get Eve unclamped and out of the bus. Stood by the bottom of the slope to the outpatients entrance I again wondered who it was decided to site the disabled car park at the bottom of a hill!
Eve and I enjoyed the company of a couple of lovely elderly ladies whilst I ate a bowl of delicious mushrom soup and fresh baguette! Then we headed to the clinic.
Eve was doing a grand job of choking , I lost my place in the booking queue twice because I had to move and suction her...managed to squirt alcogel across the desk hitting most of the queue the second time...it wasnt deliberate but very effective...the receptionist took my paperwork with a wink and told me to sit down she'd deal with it! lol

When I eventually went in to the doc it was his regisrar...she was lovely and introduced me to her medical student. She asked me how I was doing and I immediately burst in to tears and told her! Explained about Eve's issues and how I had failed to keep to the regimes and had not had blood tests etc etc. She examined my sorest joints and took a sharp intake of breath...she could feel the heat and swelling and was concerned ! After chatting about blood tests and increasing methotrexate and maybe intramuscular steroid she went off to find the boss! He came and examined me and took a similar intake of breath...was very concerned that I was so much worse than when he had seen me in March...lots of discussion about how to ensure I took better care of me to ensure I could take care of the rest of the family!
I came away with the feeling that not only were my medical issues being addressed appropriately but that my concerns and difficulties were being listened too and taken seriously.
I also came away clutching a bag of drugs, a sore arm from the gallons of blood they took and a hug from a friend who had made an effort to get to the hospital to see me despite having a meeting just before hand...thanks Cath it was wonderful to see you you can never know how much it means to me that you take the time to come over when you can!

now exausted beyond belief, aching in everything that moves and ready for bed...praying for a quiet night here!

to those of you who do hold our family up in prayer:- thank you! we know there are many of you and we appreciate every moment spent in prayer for us!
hugs
Tina

3 comments:

Tia said...

so this is your morning reminder. Have you taken them yet?

Take care of yourself
Tia

Tina said...

not when you commented but had eaten toast by then and took tablets before taking Christina to school!Thanks for your care!
Hugs

heidi @ ggip said...

Yes, you definitely need to take care of yourself! But this is a nice blog post because it is encouraging to other people (like me) that put off going to the doc just because I haven't been in a while and am afraid what they'll say. OF course they will be nice!