Sunday, 30 December 2007

A Great Way to approach the end of the year.

This year has been tough in many ways, there have though been some high points and some amazing blessings.

This morning was one of those blessings. A baptismal service at Church. you know how a wedding can take you back emotionally to your own wedding day and let you examine your marriage and in your mind remake those vows to your spouse???? Well a baptism is like that for me too.

I was taken back in my minds eye to 12 January 1973 when I was baptized as a young 11 year old. The Church of God in Yeovil, We even sang one of my Hymns this morning, When we walk with the Lord, in the Light of His word what a glory He sheds on our way. When we do His good will, He abides with us still, and with all who will Trust and obey!

Another Hymn we sang at my Baptism that I really love goes like this.

The master died upon a cross of shame,
There we were crucified.
May we be true to His most precious name,
and with Him close abide.

Oh Lord, our Lord we would acknowledge thee
in all we say and do
By thine atoning death from sin set free
we would to thee be true.

around this simple emblem of a grave
We stand to keep his word,
who once was buried in a hewn ou cave,
our risen sovreign Lord.

As buried thus with Him with whom we died.
We would more like Him grow.
In all our ways be really sanctified,
and Him more Truly know.

Since now in Christ we're raised from the dead
Our eyes upon th throne.
oh may our thoughts aspire to Him our Head
and worldly claims disown.

I love the words of this Hymn because it speaks of our baptism not being our salvation...that is what Jesus does for us on the cross...nothing we have said or done can save us...baptism is what we are doing for Jesus, acknowledging and publicly witnessing our decision to follow Him, to strive to be more like him, willing to follow Him even unto death and the grave, in the certain knowledge that he will raise us up to live forever with Him in glory...but also acknowledging that from the waters of baptism we are rising into a newness of life as a disciple witnessing that we hav left behind our old life and with the Holy Spirit living in us a living stream we have God's power to live that life for Jesus!
The verse given to me by a good friend at my Baptism wa proverbs 3v 5-7
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.
That verse has been my life line for very many years.

The thing is thinking back to my Baptism took me back further to my moment of trusting in My Lord...The Minister who Baptised me was Brian Tugwell, and 6 years earlier at Sunday School camp in Rhoose South Wales my brother ian had come racing across the field to me teling me i must go see Hank! ( Hank was Brian's nick name). Then in simple language Brian had led me to Salvation. explaining to me that Jesus loved me so much that he wanted to take the punishment for my sins. for everything I had ever done or ever would do wrong. Jesus allowed soldiers to nail Him to the cross and willingly allowed them to let Him die...just becuase he loved me. Nothing I could ever do or say would make God able to accept me in heaven only Jesus could open that door for me. That day I ccepted Jesus into my life...Romans 10 v 9, If you will confes with your lips Christ Jesus as Lord and beleive in your heart God Raised him from the dead, you will be saved!
Lord Jesus, thank you!
Now here I was stepping down into the baptistry, (and by golly was it cold!!!) and Brian was once again there to lead me through this next step in my discipleship.
Brian has played a large part in my life. he led me to Christ, he baptised me, he took my wedding service and he took the funeral service for our first son. It is quite a sadness to me that he is no longer such a physical part of my life. God has guided our families apart in miles and yet knowing we both serve the same master we know that we will meet again.

So my thoughts are drawn back to the service this morning where Chris is telling us of his steps of obedience in his his disciple pathway. Talking of his isolation in school where he felt he was the only Christian...so much that many of us can relate to. I hope to have the opportunity to get to know Chris and his family in weeks to come. This is still new Church family to us and although people know us reasonably well it is taking me much longer to put names to faces and actually get to know people.

After the service it was lovely to watch Rosie picking out the people she wanted cuddles from, Sarah and Bethan and then Nick. Sarah, Bethan and Grace are lovely girls and hopefully in time will become good friends too. I missed their mum this morning, as she was working and there seemed to be a lot going on after Church so did not realy speak to many others either.

Had a good chat with Nick whislt he helped us get the girls back in the bus. It had been bit mad getting out the house this morning and it was tight for time...of course that is the morning you can't actually park near Church and so we were in the Co Op car park a little walk away. Had a chance to offload some of the frutrations of the local Councils unhelpfulness and was encouraged with promise of prayer and practical support. I hope I did not sound too whinging! I sometimes think I whinge an awful lot!

The atmoshpeher at home this afternoon is odd. Rosie is calmer than she has been in a while...although I feel some attention may be needed soon...bit whiffy round here! Eve is chilling out on the chair...well just about on the chair, I may have to adjust her position before it adjusts itself with a bump! Joshua and Christina are upstairs playing and Jonathan is in respite today until tomorrow afternoon.
That respite has ended up being well timed as Jonathan had a melt down yesterday afternoon. He chokes occasionally on food and last evening did it quite spectacularly. Jonathan does not have a cough reflex, this means that when he chokes he has no mechanism to deal with it and he panicks...usually pushing out against anything in front of him...plates, glasses and other table acroutments went flying...this obvioulsy did not solve the problem and a total panicking meltdown occurred and legs arms and body was flailing...Daddy gets very upset and cross and shouts which makes the whole problem worse as Jonathan has no control over these episodes..the mess was incredible, the younger childen were terrified and Daddy was mad! It all blew over much quicker than the clearing up happened so once we had finished cleaning Jonathan was sat watching the TV and the youngsters were up playing! Only dad was still upset! He took it out on DX ball on his computer! A triumphant daddy came down a couple of hours later to say he had completed the game and Joshua had to be taken up to see! lol

I was VERY glad to climb into bed last night! Such a shame the nights go so quickly! i think I need an extra 5 hours when noone elses needs exist! Just to sleep!

I do not know what the future holds, but I am glad I know who holds the future!

No comments: